Vision of the Department of Chemical & Process Engineering is to excel in sustainable chemical and process engineering knowledge and practice.
Mission of the Department of Chemical & Process Engineering is to develop and impart sustainable technological solutions to advance processing and related industries at the rural, national and international levels by empowering the undergraduate and postgraduate chemical and process engineering education through an evolving curriculum, by providing consultancy, and by carrying out research and development activities.
Message from the Head of the Department
Department of Chemical & Process Engineering, is pioneer in producing well qualified Chemical and Process Engineers and has an excellent reputation which has been built over 3 decades at The University of Peradeniya well known as the “Garden University of Asia”.
The department’s one major strength is the qualified and enthusiastic academic staff that is engaged in research crossing traditional disciplinary boundaries, and mindful of their role in delivering the course up to the highest standard. The other pillar of strength is our students who are very much energetic and performs beyond their level capacity through their dedication. By maintaining a student to staff ratio of 12:1, students of our department are privileged to have a better access to the staff members.
The department conducts undergraduate teaching for the specialization in Chemical and Process Engineering which covers mass and heat transfer phenomena, unit operations, reaction engineering, design projects, etc which enable students to conduct a full fledged design project and a research project at the final year. Also we offer postgraduate programmes in Diploma, M.Sc., M.Sc. (Eng), and M.Phils. in Environmental Pollution Control in Engineering and also offer PhDs in the field related to Chemical and Process Engineering.. The department’s project-centred curriculum was highly recognized which allows students to perform independently with a close guidance of our staff.
The department culture and beliefs that support learning and discovery are important for diversity, and inclusion, pursuing innovation and professional integrity. A close industry partnerships is also ensured for multiple benefits to all three parties; the industry, students and the faculty.
To conclude, it is a great pleasure in welcoming you to the website of the Department of Chemical & Process Engineering, where you can find more information on your interest.
Dr. M. A. Elangasinghe
Department of Chemical & Process Engineering
- PO1 Apply knowledge of mathematics, basic sciences and engineering fundamentals to the analysis of complex engineering problems
- PO2 Identify, formulate, research literature, conduct investigations and solve complex engineering problems to provide valid conclusions
- PO3 Design systems, components or processes that meet specified needs
- PO4 Conduct investigations of complex problems using research based knowledge and research methods
- PO5 Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools to complex engineering activities
- PO6 Assess societal, health, safety, legal, cultural and environmental issues related to professional engineering solutions
- PO7 Demonstrate broad knowledge of sustainable development concepts and practices required for dealing with contemporary issues related to professional engineering practice
- PO8 Demonstrate broad knowledge of ethical responsibilities and professional standards
- PO9 Demonstrate ability to function effectively as an individual and in multidisciplinary and multi cultural teams, with capacity to be a leader or manager as well as an effective team member
- PO10 Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions
- PO11 Demonstrate broad knowledge of management and business practices, including financial management, risk and change management
- PO12 Engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broad context of technological change
After 5 years of graduations, graduates should;
- Excel in their engineering career in the public and private sectors or academia by applying the knowledge acquired in natural sciences, computing and chemical engineering principles.
- Possess attributes required for the safe, sustainable and economical design, modification, operation, control and management of small-scale and large-scale physical, chemical and bio-processing plants.
- Be capable of creatively applying their understanding of chemical engineering principles to solve problems arising in their career path.
- Be competent in communicating their ideas clearly and concisely in all forms.
- Demonstrate professionalism, ethics, and ability to work in inter and multi-disciplinary team and to adapt to the latest trends and technology.
- Be proficient in engaging lifelong learning which will be essential for progressing in their future careers.
- Coomprehensive knowledge and understanding of the basic principles of chemical and process engineering.
- Knowledge, understanding, skills and attributes required for the safe, sustainable and economical design, modification, operation, control and management of small-scale and large-scale physical, chemical and bio processing plants.
- Capability of creatively applying their understanding of principles to solve problems arising in their career path.
- Competency in communicating their ideas clearly and concisely in all forms.
- Proficiency in engaging in lifetime learning which will be essential for progressing in their fast changing career.
The objective of the Department is to maintain the relevance and quality of the teaching environment to produce graduates with international recognition for their knowledge, understanding, skills and attributes required by the process engineering and allied industries facing the challenge of maintaining economic prosperity through production of goods for consumption in a resource shrinking ecologically damaged world.