Dr. Maheshi B. Dissanayake
email@example.com || firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Peradeniya
All rights reserved.
Dr. Maheshi B. Dissanayake
Phd : In Electronic Engineering, University of Surrey, UK in 2010
B.Sc : In Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka in 2006
Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
University of Peradeniya
Dr (Mrs.) Maheshi B. Dissanayake received the B.Sc. Engineering degree with First Class Honours in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, in 2006, and the Ph.D. in Electronic Engineering from the University of Surrey, United Kingdom in 2010.
Since 2013, she has been a Senior Lecturer with the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya. She has been a visiting research fellow at King's College London from 2015-2017. Her research interests include error correction codes, robust video communication, molecular communication, machine learning in communication networks, deep Learning for video/image analysis and biomedical image/clinical data analysis.
Dr. Dissanayake is a Senior Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and Associate member of Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka (IESL). She has served as an organizing committee member and TPC Member of many IEEE conferences, and as a reviewer in IEEE journals in the area of molecular communication and image processing. At present she is the Chairperson of IEEE Sri Lanka Section for the year 2021/22, and the founder as well as the past Chair of IEEE Women in Engineering Sri Lanka section for the years 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2020/21.
- Phd : In Electronic Engineering, University of Surrey, UK in 2010
- B.Sc (Eng) : In Electrical and Electronic Engineering with First Class Honors , from University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka in 2006
- Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (SMIEEE) USA
- Associate Member of the Institute of Engineers Sri Lanka (AMIESL)
M. B. Dissanayake, Error resilience tools for 2D and 3D video coding and transmission, University of Surrey, United Kingdom, August 2010.
Latest Journal Papers
M. B. Dissanayake and N. Ekanayake, "On the Exact Performance Analysis of Molecular Communication via Diffusion for Internet of Bio-Nano Things," in IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 291-295, July 2021, doi: 10.1109/TNB.2021.3072230.
Shanaka Ramesh Gunasekara, H. N. T. K. Kaldera, Maheshi B. Dissanayake, "A Systematic Approach for MRI Brain Tumor Localization and Segmentation Using Deep Learning and Active Contouring", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 2021, Article ID 6695108, 13 pages, 2021.
R. M. L. N. Kumari, G. A. C. T. Bandara, Maheshi B. Dissanayake, "Sylvester Matrix-Based Similarity Estimation Method for Automation of Defect Detection in Textile Fabrics", Journal of Sensors, vol. 2021, Article ID 6625421, 11 pages, 2021.
Latest Conference Proceedings
Nisita Weerasinghe, TharakaHewa, Maheshi Dissanayake, Mika Ylianttila, MadhusankaLiyanage, “Blockchain-based Roaming and Offload ServicePlatform for Local 5G Operators”, IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC) 2021At: Las Vegas, USA
R.C.P.D. Peiris, R. Tharmikka, H.M.V.R. Herath, M.B. Dissanayake, U.S. Navaratne, "Intruder Detection System Through Walking Pattern Analysis for Home Security," Proceeding of 16th International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems, ICIIS 2021, 9th-11thDec. 2021, Sri Lanka.
Fernando W.T.P.N., Jayaweera M.N.R.S, Pathirana P.R.N., Dissanayake Maheshi B.,Udunuwara Anuradha, “Performance Analysis of Hierarchical SDN Controllers in a Network”, Institute of Engineers Sri Lanka (IESL) young members section (YMS) Technical Conference 2021, Colombo Si Lanka, 09 Oct 2021.
Latest Abstract Publications
G.A.N.S. Gunasekara, D.A.Gunarathna, M.B. Dissanayake, S. Aramvith, Advanced driver-assistance system for safe and efficient driving using machine learning architectures, iPURSE Nov. 11-12 2021, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya
Pravina M,A.M. Gnanaruby, K. Southran, Maheshi B. Dissanayake, M. Niranjan ,Detecting Possible Mosquito Breeding Sites using Aerial Imaging and Deep Learning, iPURSENov. 11-12 2021., Peradeniya.
Lasini Wickramasinghe, Maheshi B. Dissanayake, “Compare the performance of Neural Network based Indoor Positioning Techniques" ICMAS 2021, Colombo, 24th-26th November 2021
Ongoing Research & Collaborations
- ISI mitigation techniques for molecular communication
- Areal Image analysis: Detecting misquote breeding sites using drone images
- Design a Smart Meter
- Autonomous Driving
- Software Define Networks
- University Research Grant -2021
- Error correction codes
- Robust video communication
- Molecular communication
- Machine learning in communication networks
- Deep learning for video/image analysis
- Biomedical image/clinical data analysis
- Erasmus+ mobility award for “Staff Mobility For Teaching” 2020
- Recipient of the Overseas Research Scholarships Award (ORSAS) by the Higher Education Funding Council of England.
- CCSR studentship from 2006-2009.
POSITIONS HELD & VOLUNTEERING
- Senior Lecturer Grade I, Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (Mar. 2018 – To date).
- Senior Lecturer Grade II, Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (Mar. 2013 – Mar. 2018).
- Lecturer (Probationary), Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka ( Sept. 2011 – Mar. 2013).
- Lecturer contract basis, Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (Oct. 2010 – Sept. 2011).
- Director – Electronic Workshop, Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya (2019 -to date).
- Member of the editorial committee of Hanthana Vision (2019 – to date).
- Senior Student Counselor (2022).
- Secretary, Peradeniya Engineering Faculty Alumina Association (PEFAA)-(2017/18 and 2018/19).
- Senior Treasurer, Electrical and Electronic Engineering Society (EEES)-(2012/13).
- Chairperson, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Sri Lanka (2021/22).
- Adviser, Women in Engineering (WIE), University of Peradeniya (2011 - to date).
- IEEE Humanitarian Activity Committee (HAC), Communications Committee member (2020).
- Executive Committee member of Region 10 Education Committee (2016).
- Executive Committee member of Region10 Women in Engineering (WIE)-(2019 and 2020).
- Information Manager of Region 10 Student Graduates of the Last Decade(GOLD)/ Women in Engineering (WIE) Committee (2011 and 2012).
- Founder and Chairperson, IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) Sri Lanka (2015/16,2016/17, and 2020/21).