meta data for this page
  •  

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
Next revision
Previous revision
brief_history [2017/11/18 10:42]
127.0.0.1 external edit
brief_history [2020/01/23 03:12] (current)
Line 3: Line 3:
 </​html>​ </​html>​
  
 +====Location====
 +Faculty of Engineering is located in the [[Campus of University of Peradeniya|main campus of the university]] in [[Peradeniya]]. It is on one side of the [[Mahaweli River]], at a side of the main road leading to [[Gampola]]. The famous ''​Akbar bridge''​ links the two banks of the river.
  
-{{wiki:​logo.png}}===== History ​of Dharmaraja College Infrastructures=====+====History====
  
-====Background:==== +===Beginnings===
-In the early decades of the 19th century, Christian missionaries envisaged that the most effective way of converting Buddhists was through church-based schools. The British colonial administration encouraged and assisted this venture. The Buddhists and Buddhist education were subjected to serious intimidation and threats during this period and Buddhist monks and leaders were struggling against this movement. As a result of intimidation,​ a wave of debates sprang out and the most famous Panadura Wadaya (1873) was a face to face debate of which the Buddhists were recorded as the clear winners. ​ The news spread across the globe which compelled Col. Henry Steel Olcott to come to Sri Lanka. He arrived in 1980 with Madam H.P. Blavatsky, converted to Buddhism and led the Buddhist movement. He established the Buddhist Theosophical Society (BTS) in Colombo, Kandy and Galle. Col. Olcott’s and Migettuwaththe Gunananda Thera’s counter measure for church-based Schools was to start English Buddhist Schools. Col. Olcott started to collect money for the Buddhist Educational Fund touring around the country. He was instrumental in starting Buddhist Sunday schools by following the success of Catholic Sunday schools. Then the first Sunday school was converted to a day school and was named Ananda College, Colombo.+
  
-====Dawn of a new College:==== +Modern engineering education in Sri Lanka originated at the [[Ceylon Technical ​College]], where from 1933 students prepared for the external B.Sc. in Engineering degree from the [[University ​of London]]. In October 1945, the university council of the [[University ​of Ceylon]] - Sri Lanka'​s first modern university - resolved to establish its engineering faculty. The plan to set up the faculty was initiated ​by appointing [[E.O.E. Pereira]]a senior engineer in the Public Works Department ​as a [[professor]] in Civil EngineeringSince thenhe led the development projectBut his plans did not materailize until December 1949, when a crisis occurred at the Ceylon Technical College where the entire batch of Civil Engineering failed to pass the qualifying examinationAfter that, the Ministry of Education took decision ​to close down the technical college and move the engineering education permenatly to the Engineering Faculty ​that is to be set up at the [[University of Ceylon]].
-On the 30th of June 1887Dharmaraja College was started as the Kandy Buddhist High School with 12 students under the auspices ​of the Kandy Theosophical Society. The Buddhist revival started ​by ColOlcottinspired Kandy Buddhist leaders who helped this educational movement either as the members of the BTS or as sympathizersTo clear the land for the new schoolWadugodapitiya Punchirala Korale; ​the Kapu Mahatthaya of Natha Devalaya cut down the Bo tree overnight and prepared the landThis made the British rulers furious and removed ​the Korale from all government posts under the pretext ​of sacrilege of Buddhism and confiscated ​the lands he ownedThe real reason for his removal was to send message ​to the leaders of the movement who were starting Buddhist Schools since the British rulers realized ​that this movement was not conducive for the Christian missions+
  
-====MrAde Silva (1887-1890):​==== +On 1 July 1950, the University of Ceylon established its Faculty of Engineering,​ with staff and students from the Ceylon Technical College forming its nucleusAt the initial stages it was based in the [[University of Colombo|Colombo campus]] and used facilities of the Technical College, later it was moved to [[University of Peradeniya|Peradeniya Campus]]This process ​was completed in 1964. Three fields of study that had been conducted till then at the Ceylon Technical College formed ​the first three founding Departments of study, namely [[Civil Engineering]],​ [[Electrical Engineering]] and [[Mechanical Engineering]]The initial intake of students was 2519 students were taken from outside and the remaining 6 were transferred from the Faculty of Science of University of Ceylon. Total initial academic staff was 12. It included [[Professor|Prof.]] [[E.O.E. Pereira]] - Head of the Civil Engineering Department[[Professor|Prof.]] R.H. Paul - Head of the Electrical Engineering DepartmentMr. J.C.V Chinnappa - Head of the Mechanical Engineering Department, who later became a [[professor]]. Professor Perera was elected [[Dean (education)|Dean]] of the faculty in the inaugural faculty meetingThe intake of students reached 150 by 1964. Until then, the total number of graduate output was 384, all of them except one being male.
-Mr. Andris de Silva was appointed as the first headmasterThough MrSilva’s contribution for the school ​was excellentin order to register ​the school for funding, the education ​department required to replace MrSilva by a qualified headmaster+
  
-====Mr. D.B. Jayatilaka (1890-1898):​ ==== +===Shift to Peradeniya=== 
-BTS has obtained ​the service ​of MrD.BJayatilaka ​(later Sir. D.BJayathilaka) ​in June 1890 as the headmaster ​of the College. The registration ​of the department ​was successful ​in the next attemptDuring Mr. Jayatilaka’s period all classes were held in the first permanent building called “Bana Maduwa” which had no separate classrooms. In 1989 Mr. Jayatilaka was transferred to Ananda College as the Vice-Principal.+While the faculty was functioning in Colombo, plans were underway to develop a 6 [[hectare]] plot of land on the left bank of [[Mahaweli River]] at [[Peradeniya]],​ to set up the permanent housing for itProfessor Perera prepared his plans for an intake of 125 studentsThis required Rs9 million ​(uninflated) for buildings and Rs. 5 million (uninflated) for equipment. But the [[Vice Chancellor]] [[Nicholas Attygalle|Sir Nicholas Attygalle]] refused to allocate that amount due to budget restrictions and allocated only Rs5.6 million for the entire projectThis caused a dispute between the Professor and the administration which resulted ​in the resignation ​of Professor Perera from all his duties. His resignation stalled ​the project. University council called for an immediate report on the matter. The technical committee that took up the investigation stood strongly by Professor Perera'​s decision. This resulted in Ministry ​of Education allocating further funds for the project. The professor ​was restored ​in his postThe development project was finished by 1964 and in October 1964, the first batch of students were transferred ​from Colombo ​to Peradeniya.
  
-====Mr. H. Banbury (1898-1899):​==== +===1964 to 1971=== 
-He was a theosophist and was educated in York. He has travelled around the country; even to the faraway places such as Bintanne and Wellassa for collecting fundsConstruction ​of a new building was started during ​the principalship ​of MrBanbury. The new building ​was named after MrHBanbury ​and the upper floor was used as the hostelMrBanbury named the school as Dharmaraja College.+From 1964 to 1971, the faculty functioned under the old regulationsDue to the [[Sinhala Only Act|language regulations ​of 1956]], students entering ​the faculty had to switch from their respective mother language to English - the medium ​of instruction of the faculty - to follow lecturesThis caused some difficulties for students, which were addressed partially in 1970 by making bilingual streams for first year students. The first new department, Department of Mathematics ​was created in 1965 by [[Professor|Prof.]] E.F. Bartholomeusz. In 1971, the faculty received an [[IBM 1130]], the first university computer in the country. The student unrests in 1965 and 1966 prompted ​the government to create a National Council for Higher Education (NCHE) to overlook the university system ​as the executive authority.<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://​www.srilankaguardian.org/​2010/​10/​challenges-in-university-education-in.html | title=Challenges in university education in Sri Lanka | publisher=Sri Lanka Guardian | year=2010 | accessdate=2011-01-11}}</​ref>​ In 1971, three other departments,​ Department of Production Engineering,​ Department of Chemical Engineering and Department of Agricultural Engineering were added to the faculty.
  
-====Mr. W. Hack (1899): ==== +===1971 to 2000=== 
-MrWilton Hack was also a theosophist ​and he devoted most of his time for fund collecting activities which caused him to retire within a couple ​of months as he was down with Malaria ​during ​that exercisetravelling in remote areas.+After the [[1971 JVP Insurrection]],​ the government decided to amalgamate all the universities to one single universityTherefore, from 1974 to 1978, the faculty was known as the Faculty of Engineering,​ University of Sri Lanka, Peradeniya Campus. It was only after the dissolution of the University of Sri Lanka in 1978, the faculty was known by its present name, Faculty of Engineering,​ University of Peradeniya. The body which overlooked the university system, NCHE was also renamed [[University Grants Commission of Sri Lanka|University Grants Commission]] in the same year. Intake of students which remained 150 by 1971 reached 250 by 1978 and 325 by 2000. Until a [[University ​of Moratuwa|second Faculty of Engineering]] was opened at Katubedda in 1972, it was the only institution to grant engineering degrees in Sri Lanka. The Department of Agricultural Engineering was split for the Faculty of Engineering and moved to the [[Faculty ​of Agriculture,​ University of Peradeniya|Faculty of Agriculture]] in late 1970s. The [[Department of Computer Engineering,​ University of Peradeniya|Department of Computer Science]] ​was added to the faculty in 1985. The Peradeniya Engineering Faculty Alumni Association (PEFAA) was created in 1991. During this period, the faculty commomerated the [[Golden Jubilee]] of University of Peradeniya (in 1992) and the Golden Jubilee of the faculty (in 2000) with two mega scale exhibitions. The [[1987–89 JVP Insurrection]] caused faculty to be closed frequently ​during ​1988 and 1989.<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://​www.island.lk/​2001/​11/​15/​featur02.html | title=Transcripts from the campaign trailNovember is for remembering | publisher=The Island | year=2001 | accessdate=2011-01-11}}</​ref>​ It was by May 1990, the faculty could resume its normal academic work.
  
-====Mr. C.S. Rajarathnam (1899 – 1902): ==== +===2001 onwards=== 
-MrRajarathnam ​was not Buddhistbut he continued to maintain ​the Buddhist ideologies ​and was responsible for obtaining excellent results in government examinations +The faculty shifted to the [[semester]] based course unit system by 2001Name of the Department of Computer Science ​was changed to Department of Computer Engineering and it started offering ​degree program in the same year. In 2005, the Department of Chemical Engineering was also renamed the Department of Chemical ​and Process Engineering. Student intake ​was further increased to 415 by 2008.
  
-====Mr. K.F. Billimoria ​(1902 – 1932): ==== +==Organization== 
-MrK.FBillimoria; a Parsee who came for a short commercial visit to Sri Lanka was convinced by MrJayatilaka to take up the post of the Principal ​of the College in 1902.  During this periodthe ground floor of Banbury Building ​and the Bana Maduwa was used to conduct classes. The upper floor of the Banbury building was used as the Principal’s residence. ​ Since the space was barely sufficient for the increasing number of students. Mr. Billimoria had started collecting funds for the third permanent building ​in 1910. It was said that during this period, from those who came to see the Kandy Perahara, everyone was compelled to donate a cent by pinning cards. The construction work  started in 1914 and was completed in 1915 and the work was supervised by Mr. P.B. Ratnayake (Father ​of Mr A. Ratnayake; Old Rajan, MP for Wattegama and then became ​the President of the Senate of Ceylon). The building was ceremonially opened in 1915 by Sir Ponnambalam Ramanadan; a member ​of the Legislative Council. Mr. Billimoria envisioned the requirement of spacious location for the expansion of the college and purchased the Lake View Estate ​in 1922 even though ​the cost was not affordable to the College. The Ardnaree was the estate bungalow of Lake View Estate. The famous British writer D.H. Lawrance stayed ​in Ardnaree in 1922. On the retirement of Mr. Billimoriahis son Mr. Beram Billimoria started a scholarship spending Rs. 25,000 in memory of his father. After purchasing the Lake View estate, ​in 1923 the hostel which was in Lambert House in Malabar Street (Now Anagarika Dharmapala Mawatha) was moved to Ardnaree. Prior to that the hostel was in Banbury which was moved to there from a building at Castle Street (Kotugodella Veediya). A playgroundtwo buildings ​and a swimming pool was built in 1926 for the hostellers. Chief Justice Anton Bertram later named this as Dharmaraja Hill  ​+[[Dean ​(education)|Dean]] is the head of both academic and non academic administration.<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​pages/​MainPages/​administration.html | title=Administration ​of the Faculty | publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] | year=2002 | accessdate=2010-05-25}}</​ref>​ Head of the departments/​ units/​centers,​ Assistant RegistrarAssistant Bursar ​and the secretary assist ​in the administration ​and financial ​work of the faculty. The number ​of professorial chairs ​in the Faculty is eleven, three each in Civil Engineeringand Electrical & Electronic Engineeringtwo in Mechanical Engineering and one each in Engineering MathematicsProduction Engineering ​and Chemical & Process Engineering.
  
 +The Heads of the Departments handle the academic affaires, primary human resources and financial activities within of the Department.
  
-====Mr. P. de S. Kularathna (1932-1936):​ ==== +Assistant Registrar is responsible for issuing ​the documents for the studentsprospective ​students, employers ​and the outsiders through ​the Dean, publishing ​and announcing decisions ​and events ​of the faculty board( Examination Dates etc.)maintain ​the records ​of the faculty statistics, provide all aspects ​of human resources ​and reception ​of Faculty'​s visitorsAssistant Bursar approves ​the payrolls ​and other paymentsscholarships ​and fixes the annual budget.
-To fill the space of Mr. Billimoria and to uplift ​the financial and administrative stability of the collegethe service of Mr. Kularathna was obtained temporarily releasing him form the Principalship of Ananda College in Nov 1932.  He managed to control the debts of the College that incurred primarily because of the purchase of Lake View. Mr. Kularathna’s arrival increased the influx of new students and the space for the classes was soon become insufficient. Therefore principal’s residence was moved from upper floor of Banbury to Ardnaree which became the bungalow of the principal thereafter. ​ At that time the hostel buildings constructed by Mr. Billimoria called A and B with the dining hall were not in use. Mr. Kularthna renovated these building to move the hostel from the Ardnaree. He had renovated the road and foot path leading to the hostel as well. The half way constructed Sri Chandarasekera;​ “C” dormitory ​of the hostel by MrBillimoria was also completed during this period. Mr. Kularathna managed to provide pipe born water to bathrooms and toilets using cemented tanks and electric pumps. The upper floor of Banbury building was used for classes and the ground floor was converted to a science laboratory. In additionanother hall with couple of class rooms were constructed in front of the Banbury building. This building was later removed after handing over to Cultural Triangle in 1980s. Ever increasing student population forced Mr. Kularathna to start classes in Lake View estate. A permanent building was constructed on the western bank of the hostel and a temporary build was constructed near the hostel kitchen. ​ Later this permanent building was made a part of the hostel. Two huts were also made during this period for two English Buddhist lady devotees. At present they are used for scouting. Two tennis grounds were constructed during this period ​and the swimming pool constructed by Mr. Billimoria was renovated and new swimming pool was constructed for young students.  +
-  +
-====Mr. L.H. Mettananda (1936 -1945): ==== +
-Since Mr. Kularathna resumed duties as the Principal ​of Ananda, then Acting Principal; MrMettananda of Ananda was appointed as the Principal of Dharmaraja. Mr. Mettananda had to face multifaceted problems at the same time. The college was still in heavy debts due to the purchasing Lake View. The space was not sufficient to cater for the influx of students ​and hence in need of new buildings. In parallel to 1937 Golden Jubilee ceremony, he started collecting funds through an Industrial Fair and started the construction of a two storied building. With the donations of well-wishers the building was completed in 1940. Names of top six donors are inscribed on the plaques mounted on the walls of the building. On 2nd March 1940, this two storied building (later named as Mettananda Building) was declared opened, the foundation stone for a new Science Lab was laid by the Governor of Ceylon; Sir Andrew Caldecott. The science lab was donated by Mr. James Senannayke in memory of his late son Milton Senannayake who died in Paris in 1937. The other problem Mr. Mettananda realized was the new threat looming to convert poor Sinhala Buddhist students to Christianity. Since the English Buddhist schools such as Ananda and Dharmaraja only catered for upper and middle class students who can afford the school feesthe poor Sinhala Buddhist students were attracted by the Catholic schools by charging less school fees. These students are eventually converted to Christianity. In order to teach poor Sinhala Buddhist students, the Elementary Department was started in 1940. From Kindergarten to grade five was near Maligawa ​and grade six to senior classes were at Lake View. The debts were transferred to State Mortgage and Investment Bank and restructured in order to pay off the debits, thus saving the Lake View. While the objective of taking over private schools to government was still remaining, Mr. Mettananda had to go back to Ananda to take the principalship after the retirement of Mr. Kularathna+
  
-====Mr. S.A. Wijayatilake (1945-1954):​ ==== +==Departments of study==
-Mr. Wijayatilake was first appointed as a teacher of Dharmaraja in 1924 by Mr. Billimoria, and soon taken by Ananda College. Then he moved to Nalanda. In 1943 he was appointed as the Vice-Principal of Dharmaraja and then appointed as the Principal in November 1945. With the introduction of free education in 1945 it was not easy for anyone to take charge of a school. However he managed the situation and organized carnivals, put up building and had plans for further extensions by collecting funds. Mr. Wijayatilake had made the temporary class rooms permanent and constructed temporary class rooms for increasing number of students. He organized a carnival in 1947 and collected funds to renovate the road and to improve the laboratories. The remaining funds and the funds collected in the 1951 carnival were allocated to construct an auditorium and was never allowed to be used, even if it was for urgent School needs. He has improved the college library by collecting large number of books. His service, especially in creating a cordial relationship between the Buddhist schools and other schools, when it was perilously closing to rivalry and hostile, has to be recorded and remembered. Before realizing all his dreams he was taken back by Ananda College again; this time as the Principal.+
  
-====MrC. Godage (1955 -1959): ==== +[[Image:​Pera efac3.jpg|thumb|right|250px|Administrative Building]] 
-Mr. Charles Godage was one time a teacher ​of Dharmaraja and had worked as principal in other schools before assuming duties at Dharmaraja. His period is also renowned for building constructions. Though free education was introduced to schools, despite the effort ​of previous principals ​in constructing new building, Dharmaraja could not implement free education effectively due to insufficient buildings to accommodate new students. As a solution he started Dharmaraja Development Board and with the Esala carnival in 1955 he managed to collect about Rs40,431.34He added two buildings of 9 classes for the middle section and made a temporary building a permanent oneA building with 5 classes was added to the primary sectionHe made the temporary roof of a science lab permanent, added another section to the hostel, completed the geography section, introduced the workshop section, completed the physics and chemistry laboratory provided radio facilities to senior hostels and primary section and provided hundred chairs to the primary auditorium. The lavatory system ​of the hostel was modernized and the kitchen was renovated. The library was also improved and a cinema projector was acquired. The sports ground was expanded to make 330 yards track and the pavilion was constructed during this period. The foundation ​of the pavilion was placed on April 1957. The role of joint-secretaries of OBU Mr. D.M. Dharmathilake and D.K. Jayawickrama in constructing the pavilion is specially appreciated in the school magazines. In 1959 Mr. Godage left for England for further education and after spending two years, he joined Moratuwa Vidayala as the Principal.+The number ​of departments ​of study in the faculty are eight.<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://​www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​old/​departments.html | title=Departments ​of study | publisher=[[University ​of Peradeniya]] | year=2005 | accessdate=2010-05-25}}</​ref>​ Out of them, undergraduate students can pursue study in seven. The departments ​of study are:
  
-====MrD.BTewarapperuma (1959-1961): ​==== +*Department of Chemical and Process Engineering<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​chemical/​ | title=Department of Chemical and Process Engineering | publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] | year=2010 | accessdate=2010-05-25}}</​ref>​ 
-To cover the duties ​of the principal post, MrTevarapperuma was transferred to Dharmaraja from the principal post of Maliyadeva CollegeSince the government funded schools had to follow the government rules which governed the Christian schools, the difference between the missionary schools and the Buddhist schools was limited to the religious environmentThough MrMettananda lead the battle for absorbing the government funded schools, after the government change in 1956, the pledges to implement Buddhist Commission report and to take over the funded schools to the government was not implementedTherefore, the Kandy Educational Front, formed in 1957 started a guerrilla war through public meetings and publicationsHoweverBTS had decided not to handover Ananda and Dharmaraja to the government and to keep them under their controlTherefore MrTevarapperuma led a long and heated battle against this decision and presented the case to the Senior Assistant Secretary to the Ministry ​of Education DrAnanda Guruge (a distinguished old boy)As a result Dharmaraja and also Ananda were announced as government schools on 1960.12.01MrTewarapperuma had restructured the library and improved sports and other social activitiesThe dental clinic was started by the government in the primary section in 1960He was appointed as the Principal ​of Walala Central College in 1961. +*Department ​of Civil Engineering<​ref>​{{cite web |url=http://​www.civil.pdn.ac.lk/​ |title=Department ​of Civil Engineering |publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] |year=2010 |accessdate=2010-05-25 |deadurl=yes |archiveurl=https://​web.archive.org/​web/​20100323231411/​http://​www.civil.pdn.ac.lk/ |archivedate=2010-03-23 |df= }}</​ref>​ 
-====Major E.APerusinghe (1962-1964): ==== +*[[Department of Computer EngineeringUniversity of Peradeniya|Department of Computer Engineering]]<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://​www.ce.pdn.ac.lk/ | title=Department ​of Computer Engineering | publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] | year=2010 | accessdate=2010-05-25}}</​ref>​ 
-The principal ​of Maliyadeva College; Major Perusinghe was appointed as the principal ​of Dharmaraja in Jan 1962 A new building with 5 classes was added as soon as he assumed dutiesThe funds collected by MrWijayatilake for a hall was used for these 5 classesLater two buildings with 16 rooms were added to the middle sectionThe sports ground was expanded by collecting funds from the Esala carnival in 1963Since the government had accepted the proposal to make the premisses around Dalada Maligawa a scared area, and since the College needed to expand the primary section, at the 1963 prize giving where Minister of Education and Cultural affairs MrP.B.G.Kalugalla was the Chief Guest, Major Perusinghe proposed to acquire 2 acres at the bottom ​of the hill and to shift the primaryMrKalugalla had promised to acquire 2 acres and to construct buildings for the primary and for an auditoriumMajor Perusinghe also proposed to the Dharmaraja Development Board to construct a shrine room using the building fund of Rs16,000 collected during MrGodage’s periodSince the funds were not sufficient, additional 18,000 was collected from the parents ​and started designing the plans. Major Perusinghe was appointed as the principal ​of Ananda in Oct 1964.+*[https://​www.ee.pdn.ac.lk/ Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering]<​ref>​{{cite web |url=http://​www.ee.pdn.ac.lk/ |title=Department ​of Electrical & Electronic Engineering |publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] |year=2010 |accessdate=2010-05-25 |deadurl=yes |archiveurl=https://​web.archive.org/​web/​20100508004041/​http://​www.ee.pdn.ac.lk/​ |archivedate=2010-05-08 |df}}</​ref>​ 
 +*Department of Engineering Mathematics<​ref>​{{cite web |url=http://​www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​engmath/​ |title=Department ​of Engineering Mathematics |publisher=[[University ​of Peradeniya]] |year=2010 |accessdate=2010-05-25 |deadurl=yes |archiveurl=https://​web.archive.org/​web/​20100102000333/​http://​www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​engmath/​ |archivedate=2010-01-02 |df= }}</​ref>​ 
 +*[https://​eng.pdn.ac.lk/​mechanical/​ Department of Mechanical Engineering]<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://​www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​mechanical/​ | title=Department ​of Mechanical Engineering | publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] | year=2010 | accessdate=2010-05-25}}</​ref>​ 
 +*[https://​eng.pdn.ac.lk/mie/ Department ​of Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering]<​ref>​{{cite web|url=http://​eng.pdn.ac.lk/​mie/​|title=Department of Manufacturing ​and Industrial Engineering|last=|first=|date=|year=2010|website=|publisher=[[University ​of Peradeniya]]|accessdate=2010-05-25}}</​ref>​
  
-==== Col. S.L.B. Amaranayake (1964 -1971): ==== +==Admission==
-Mr. Amaranayake studied during Mettananda and Wijayatilake’s periods and Obtain BA from University of Ceylon. He served as a teacher in Gampola Jinaraja and then in Dharmaraja and became the Vice-Principal during Mr. Godage’s perod. In 1964 he was appointed as the Acting Principal and was the first old boy to become the Principal of the college. Capt. Amaranayake was appointed as the principal in Augest 1967. The playground expansion work started during Maj. Perusinghe’s period and was completed by Capt. Amaranayake but the levelling and drainage system was remained incomplete. Though Rs. 20,000 was approved and the contract was awarded to a contractor, the completion of the remaining work was stopped and then completed by the students through Shrama Dana. The foundation for the Shrine Room (Budu Madura) was laid on Dec 1965 and Benthota Mr. T.A.T. Silva constructed the Buddha statue and Mr. George Keet had promised to do the paintings. In 27th June 1965 the road leading to Dharmaraja was named as Dharmaraja Mawatha. Since the College had to face water problems during dry seasons, the College obtained the service from newly constructed pipe born water service of the Kandy Municipality Council. However the pressure was not sufficient to feed the hostel and hence new tanks were constructed at the college premises and electrical pumps were installed to feed the hostel in 1968. The swimming pool was constructed by Mr. Billimoria and was restored and used by the students. Three class rooms of the Mettananda Building were converted to laboratories and equipment was provided.  +
-====Mr. A.B. Samarajeewa (1971 -1973): ==== +
-In this period, following the national agriculture program, Mr. Samaajewa utilized the college land for agriculture optimally. The main hall of the college was allocated for the library and funding for purchasing books and periodicals and daily papers was provided. +
-====Mr. A.P. Gunaratne (1973 -1987): ==== +
- Mr. Gunratne was the second old boy to become the Principal of Dharmaraja. His student administration method was to guide students to make them proud for being a Rajan. He wanted the students to be self-disciplined as well as patriotic. He trained students to hold responsibility and teachers to only guide students. Therefore many student movements were born during that period. The Centenary anniversary was celebrated in a grand scale. The international scout centre inaugurated at Dharamaraja hill which attracted many international visitors. With the donation of 4.5 acres for the primary section and the auditorium by the government and 14 acres from Pattiya Kele (later given to Army Signal Corps) by  Hon. Prime Minister Mr. R. Premadasa, the land area of the school was extended to 55 acres. Freeing the land given for the primary from the illegal squatters was a serious battle that was won by Mr. Gunaratne amidst the threats to his life. In 1985 the college was declared as a National School. In 1987 Model Daham Pasala was started. Two storied building for science laboratory was constructed. He has started to expand the playground and also planned to build four storied pavilion, two storied hostel complex and the auditorium which was designed by Mr. Piyasiri Gattepola. In 1987 Mr. Gunaratne was appointed as the Principal of Ananda College. ​+
  
-==== Mr. U.B. Herath (1987-1988):​ ==== +Almost all the students ​of the faculty are from [[Sri Lanka]]Admission to the faculty ​of Engineering is subjected ​to the Sri Lankan government policy of University admission.
-Before being appointed as the Principal, Mr. Herath was an Assistant Commissioner ​of Examination and hence did not have previous experience as a principalHowever passing initial difficulties and with the help of the staff he managed ​to provide a good service for the College+
  
-====Mr. N. Herath (1989-1991):​ ==== +Selection ​of students is done on the basis of merit order on the average Z score obtained by candidates at the [[GCE Advanced Level in Sri Lanka|GCE Advanced Level]] examinationDistrict merit criteria is the procedure ​used to select undergraduates to the facultyCompetition to enter the university is severe.<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://​www.asiantribune.com/​news/​2009/​11/​29/​advance-level-sri-lanka-and-university-admission | title=Advance level in Sri Lanka and University Admission | publisher=[[Asian Tribune]] | year=2009 | accessdate=2010-05-25}}</​ref>​
-Constructing the College Auditorium at the bottom ​of Lake View hill was a major project initiated by Mr. Nihal Herath. He selected ​the location with Mr. Gamini Dissanayake and invited him to provide the architectural design for the seating capacity ​of 1500. Mr. Dissanayake has fulfilled ​the requirement creating a unique design which blended with the existing landscape. The foundation was laid for the auditorium ​in 08th Nov 1990 as a project of OBU with initial funding and the leadership of MrWilliam Weerasinghe ​the President of OBU. The construction was done by State Engineering Corporation (SEC). The donation of  of Rs. 1 million made by Mr. W.M.P.B. Dissanayake;​ Chief Minister of Central Province was used for the initial phaseAs the collecting funds became difficult, the construction of the auditorium was stalledIn 1991 MrNihal Herath was appointed as a Principal of a National College of Education.+
  
-====Mr. T.B. Damunupola (1991 -1995): ==== +==Undergraduate studies in engineering== 
-The Principal of Vidyartha; Mr. Damunupola was appointed as the Principal ​to become ​the third old Rajan who was appointed as the Principal ​of the CollegeHe was a silent and kindhearted gentleman. The work of the auditorium was recommenced using Rs150,000 given by OBU in 1993 and he managed to obtain funds of 4 million from the Government through a directive ​of His Excellency the President MrD.BWijetunga and 1 million by Mr. Haridranath Dunuwila (Hon. MP) to restart ​the construction and completed the auditoriumNew primary buildings were designed and constructed using the funds provided by the Cultural Triangle ​and the primary school situated near Natha Devalaya premises was moved to the lower part of the Lake View. Mr. Damunupola left Dharmaraja to assume duties of the Principal of Ananda.+The Faculty offers a full-time Undergraduate Course leading ​to the degree of [[Bachelor of Engineering|Bachelor ​of Science in Engineering]] (B.Sc.Eng.). The duration ​of the degree is 4 yearsFirst year is common to all students. The rest is devoted to specialisation ​in one of the branches ​of engineeringNow it has 6 fields of studyFaculty adopted the course unit system in 2001There are special sessions ​to introduce ​the students to practical engineering problems there are programmes for industrial trainingThese have been drawn up in collaboration with the National Apprenticeship ​and Industrial Training Authority (NAITA).
  
-====Mr. B.M. Bandaranayake (1995-1999):​ ==== +==Postgraduate study==
-Mr. A.B. Herath worked as the acting principal prior to Mr. Bandaranayake. A Tennis Court was constructed during this period with the leadership of Dr. Tilak Abesekara. Building of a Dental Clinic, three storied building with 12 classes for Middle Section, a three storied building for grade 10,11 (top floor was allocated for indoor sports) were the new buildings added during this period. The auditorium, which was almost completed, was inaugurated on 23 Feb 1996 with overnight pirith chanting ceremony and an alms giving for 80 Bhikkus. However it was officially declared open by then Speaker Mr. K.B.Ratnayake one year later. +
-====Mr. A.B. Herath (1999-2001):​ ==== +
-Mr. Ashoka Herath was a teacher and a vice principal for a long period of time before before he was appointed as the Principal. He was instrumental in completing the requirements of the auditorium. Amidst the government red-tapes in procuring, the service Mr. Herath rendered is always remembered in purchasing the chairs for the auditorium. +
-====Mr. S.M. Keerthiratne (2001-2016):​ ==== +
-Being the principal for the second highest tenure after Mr. Billimoria, Mr. Keerthiratne has improved the college in almost all aspects. During his period the College playground was widened and new turfs pitches were introduced by the Old Boy’s Union. The effort of OBU President; Mr. Jagath Samarasinghe in executing the project and the personal commitment of old Rajan businessmen in Kandy in securing funds has to be recorded. The construction was started on 18th October 2003 and completed within four years by the Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau (CECB). As the old swimming pool was abandoned, the requirement of a new pool had been in discussion for a long period as a project of OBU, Colombo Branch and initial funding was pledged by E.W. Balasooriya (Rs. 12 million). Initial plan was to construct a pavilion and a swimming pool at the end of the playground where original pavilion was situated. Constructing a road for that site from the Auditorium was started by the OBU during the Presidency of Mr. Gamini Dissanayake. In his period, he designed and constructed a Wahalkada at the entrance of the college premises following Kandyan traditions. Later with the receipt of remaining funds from Tarunyata Hetak Organization with the directive of the president (Rs.15 Million) the site near the Auditorium was selected by removing the kids’ playground of the primary section. By collecting the remaining funds from old boys and well-wishers (Rs. 8 million) by the OBU Colombo Branch and the team, the pool of size 25 m x 17 m with 8 lanes was constructed by Tec Waters (Pvt) Ltd. and Mahinda Builders and declared opened by His Excellency the President of Sri Lanka Mr. Mahinda Rajapakse on 17th Jan 2010. Upon constructing the new science labs and shifting the science section to the buildings above the auditorium, the Milton Senanayake building was allocated for the museum during the past principals. ​ Mr. Keerthiratne requested the Old Rajans’ 79/80 group to construct the College Archives to collect and maintain the historical records of the College. ​ In Oct 2001 the renovation of the building was started and it was refurbished to give a different outlook spending Rs. 2 million. Sir D.B. Jayatilaka Memorial Archives was ceremonially opened on 28th Nov 2003 by Mr. A.P.Gunarthne;​ former principal of the College. Constructing sick Room, kitchen and the Wardens Quarters for the Hostel was done by Old Hostellers Association. A three storied building for grade 11-12, Sunil Sirisena Art Gallery donated by Mr. Sunil Sirisena (an old boy), Scout Museum by the Old Scouts Association,​ Computer Aided Learning Centre (CAL) and preparing chairs and fixing a curtain worth Rs. 1.5 million with the help of Colombo OBU and London Chapter for the auditorium were other major infrastructure development projects completed during this period. Following a proposal of Col K.B.S. Welgedara; an old boy and a teacher, the shrine room of primary section was constructed by his family members in 2008. A public addressing system for the primary was installed in 2011 by the parents of the students admitted to school in that year. At the later part of Mr. Keerthiratne’s tenure, the construction of the pavilion was started. Due to the poor condition of the Ardnaree bungalow the Education Department decided to demolish it and to construct a new residence for the Principal. The design was done by the Government. The officers of the College Archives were of the view that if the Ardnaree could not be restored, at least the new design should resemble the Ardnaree bungalow. Therefore with the intervention of the Archives, the new Architectural design was done by Mr. Gamini Dissanayake keeping some of the features of Ardnaree bungalow and approved by the Education Department and its construction was started in Dec 2015. Architectural designs of  the new pavilion (which has seating capacity of 280 ) also done by Mr. Gamini Dissanayake and the structural design of pavilion was done by Dr. Udaya Dissanayake.+
  
-====MrW.M.D.T.PWanasinghe (2016 to date): ​==== +There are four postgraduate courses offered by the universityThe degree of [[Master of Science in Engineering|Master of the Science of Engineering]] (MSc.Eng.) is awarded after one year of full-time graduate study.<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://​www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​pages/​MainPages/​postgrat.html | title=Postgraduate Studies | publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] | year=2010 | accessdate=2010-05-25}}</​ref>​ Postgraduate Courses in special subjects are conducted from time to time and these lead to Diploma in Engineering. The higher degrees ​of [[Master ​of Philosophy]] (M.Phil.and [[Doctor ​of Philosophy]] (PhD) are awarded on the basis of dissertations.
-Before being appointed as the Principal, Mr. Wanasinghe was the Principal of St. Thomas College, Matale. Since the Bungalow was demolished, the new Principal has to reside outside the College premises ​and which is hindrance for the school administration. The completion ​of the new Principal’s residence was stalled due to insufficient funds. On the directive ​of the Education Ministry, the School Development Society approved to release Rs5 million from the school development fund to complete the remaining parts of the building allowing the Principal to move in as soon as possibleAt present Mr. Wansinghe is planning to make a Building Master Plan for the College, to have it widely discussed ​and to approve it so that the future development ​of the College will follow the agreed master plan. This Master Plan is prepared to facilitate the long felt requirement of making well established Master Plan for Dharmaraja College of which importance has been discussed at various forums including at the OBU and professional forums ​of Old Rajans  ​+
  
-(This article on the History of Dharmaraja Infrastructures is prepared by Dr. Kamalanath Samarakoon; the President of Dharmaraja Archives Foundation using large number of publications available in the College Archives and on the Internet. There are many inconsistencies of the historical activities found in these publications. A complete document, including the inconsistencies with the references, is kept in the College Archives for reference.)  ​+*Regular full-time graduate students 
 +*Regular part-time graduate students 
 +*Provisional students 
 +*Casual students
  
-Author: DrKamalanath Samarakoon+All the departments conduct Postgraduate Diploma / MSc.Eng. Courses.
  
 +==Engineering graduates==
  
 +The number of graduates produced by Faculty of Engineering,​ University of Peradeniya up to 31 December 2007.<​ref>​{{cite web | url=http://​www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​pages/​MainPages/​Forms/​introduction%20July%202008_.pdf | format=PDF | title=Faculty of Engineering,​ year 2008 handbook | publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] | year=2008 | accessdate=2010-05-25}}</​ref>​
 +{| class="​wikitable"​
 +|-
 +! Department
 +! Number of Graduates
 +|-
 +| Civil Engineering
 +| style="​text-align:​center"​ | 5025
 +|-
 +| Electrical and Electronic Engineering
 +| style="​text-align:​center"​ | 1521
 +|-
 +| Mechanical Engineering
 +| style="​text-align:​center"​ | 1173
 +|-
 +| Production Engineering
 +| style="​text-align:​center"​ | 763
 +|-
 +| Chemical and Process Engineering
 +| style="​text-align:​center"​ | 274
 +|-
 +| Computer Engineering
 +| style="​text-align:​center"​ | 200
 +|-
 +| '''​TOTAL'''​
 +| style="​text-align:​center"​ | '''​8956'''​
 +|}
 +
 +==Past deans of the faculty==
 +
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] [[E.O.E. Pereira]] ​    ​(1950-65 & 1966-69)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] R.H. Paul          (1965–66)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] J.C.V. Chinnappa ​  ​(1969–71)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] H.B. de Silva      (1972–75)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] [[A. Thurairajah]] ​   (1975-77 & 1982-85)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] W.P. Jayasekara ​   (1977–82)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] [[C.L.V. Jayathilake]] (1985-86 & 1988-89)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] M. Amaratunga ​     (1986–88)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] [[M. P. Ranaweera]] ​    ​(1989–94)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] S. Ranatunga ​      ​(1994–99)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] W.J.N. Fernando ​   (1999–2002)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] S.D. Pathirana ​    ​(2002–2005)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] [[S. B. S. Abayakoon]](2005–2009)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] W.M.S.B.Weerakoon ​ (2009–2012)
 +*[[Professor|Prof.]] [http://​www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​pages/​departmentHome/​ME/​otherpages/​staff/​Leela.html Leelananda Rajapaksha] (2012–present)
 +
 +==Facilities==
 +
 +There are a number of academic facilities in the faculty.
 +
 +===Academic facilities===
 +
 +*The Engineering Library
 +*Applied Thermodynamics Laboratory
 +*Applied Machine Laboratory
 +*Civil & Environmental Laboratory
 +*Surveying Laboratory
 +*Structural Engineering Laboratory
 +*Drawing Offices
 +*Engineering Workshops
 +*CNC Machining and Automation Facility
 +*Industrial Training and Career Guidance Unit
 +*The Computing Centre
 +*The Electronics Workshop
 +*English Language Teaching Unit (ELTU)
 +**The Language Laboratory
 +*Engineering Education Unit
 +**Audio Visual Facility
 +*Research and Development Units
 +**Engineering Design Centre (EDC)
 +**Centre for Engineering Research and Postgraduate Studies (CERPS)
 +
 +===University service facilities===
 +
 +*Motor Vehicle Repair Unit (MVRU)
 +
 +==Societies and unions==
 +
 +ESU (Engineering Students'​ Union) is the official students'​ union in the Faculty of Engineering,​ University of Peradeniya.<​ref>​{{cite web |url=http://​www.peraesu.com/​ |title=Arunella |publisher=Engineering Student Union, [[University of Peradeniya]] |year=2007 |accessdate=2010-05-25 |deadurl=yes |archiveurl=https://​web.archive.org/​web/​20100127064112/​http://​www.peraesu.com/​ |archivedate=2010-01-27 |df= }}</​ref>​ It is also responsible for providing a variety of services to students. Students can get involved in its management through numerous and varied committees, general meetings, or become one of its elected officers. The ESU represents students both within the university and outside, including on local and national issues as well as issues in the faculty and in the university. They are also involved in welfare affairs of the student body. ESU has understood the social responsibility they have as a group of undergraduates. ''​Arunella''​ plays a major role in the social and charity works done for the community all around the country who paid for their free education.
 +
 +Other societies inside the faculty are:
 +*Electrical and Electronic Engineers Society (EEES)<​ref>​{{cite web |url=http://​www.ee.pdn.ac.lk/​eees/​ |title=Electrical and Electronic Engineers Society |publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] |year=2010 |accessdate=2010-05-25 |deadurl=yes |archiveurl=https://​web.archive.org/​web/​20100522200546/​http://​www.ee.pdn.ac.lk/​eees/​ |archivedate=2010-05-22 |df= }}</​ref>​
 +*Association of Computer Engineering Students ​ (ACES)
 +*Civil Engineers Society (CES)
 +*Chemical Engineering Students Society (ChESS)
 +*Mechanical Engineers Society (MES)
 +*Production Engineering Students Society (PESS)
 +*Engineering Students'​ Publication Society (ESPS)[http://​gaugeuop.com/​]
 +*Engineering Faculty Art Circle
 +*Engineering Faculty Buddhist Brotherhood
 +*Power and Highvoltage Engineers Society (PHES)
 +*Buddhist Brotherhood Society Faculty of Engineering
 +
 +==Engineering exhibition ''​EngEx2010''​==
 +
 +Commemorating the 60th year anniversary of its inauguration,​ the faculty of Engineering held a mega exhibition during September 2010 under the theme, '''​Engineering:​ The Future'''​. It was the largest event held in the faculty since year 2000.<​ref>​{{cite web |url=http://​www.ce.pdn.ac.lk/​EngEx2010 |title=Official Web Portal, EngEx2010 |publisher=[[University of Peradeniya]] |year=2010 |accessdate=2010-05-25 |deadurl=yes |archiveurl=https://​web.archive.org/​web/​20100610110212/​http://​www.ce.pdn.ac.lk/​EngEx2010/​ |archivedate=2010-06-10 |df= }}</​ref>​
 +
 +==See also==
 +{{Portal|Engineering}}
 +*[[University of Peradeniya]]
 +*[[Department of Computer Engineering,​ University of Peradeniya]]
 +
 +==References==
 +{{Reflist|2}}
 +
 +==External links==
 +*[http://​www.pdn.ac.lk/​eng/​ Faculty of Engineering,​ University of Peradeniya official website]
 +{{University of Peradeniya}}
 +
 +{{DEFAULTSORT:​Faculty Of Engineering,​ University Of Peradeniya}}
 +[[Category:​Engineering universities and colleges in Sri Lanka|Peradeniya]]
 +[[Category:​Faculties and departments of the University of Peradeniya|Engineering]]
 +
 +Source: Wikipedea
 +Edited By: Kamalanath Samarakoon
 +Reason: To add links and to make the edits authentic.
 + 
  
 <​html>​ <​html>​