Vision and Mission / Objectives
Department Mission Statement
To acquire, promote, develop and disseminate knowledge and application of civil engineering in particular to produce engineers with skills and attitudes who attain competence as professional engineers providing leadership in the national and international arena and to interact with local industry and community for sustainable development leading to enhanced quality of life while preserving national heritage.
Department Vision Statement
The mission of department is to become the best Civil Engineering department in South Asia as the center of excellence in teaching, research & development and consultancy.
Programme Educational Objectives(PEO)
A civil engineering graduate of the department, after few years of practice will be able to
- identify, analyze and solve complex problems based on basic principles of engineering sciences and mathematics;
- produce innovative Engineering Designs and solutions considering functionality, aesthetics, safety , cost effectiveness, environmental friendliness and socio-cultural aspects;
- manage and execute engineering projects of multi-disciplinary nature giving due consideration to local community , local industry and national heritage; and
- promote themselves as leaders in the international arena in their chosen profession as well as in other interested areas through effective communication, lifelong learning , research and development activities
Programme Outcomes (PO)
After completion of the Civil Engineering Programme , a graduate will have
- The ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- The ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- The ability to design a civil engineering system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability;
- The ability to function on multidisciplinary teams as a member or a leader;
- The ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- The understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- The ability to communicate effectively;
- The ability to understand the impact of engineering solutions globally and economically
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- A knowledge of contemporary issues; and
- The ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for environmental, and societal context; engineering practice.
The students who are entering the specialized programme in civil engineering must,
- Possess adequate knowledge and skills to understand and take notes in English, and to speak without hesitation with lecturers and to write simple reports and examinations in English.
- Understand and solve the mathematical formulations necessary to follow the specialized course in civil engineering involving Calculus, Geometry, functions and numerical solutions etc.
- Understand different aspects of instrumentation and to learn procedures to solve engineering problems through measurement and experimentation.
- Identify the micro-structure of engineering materials and predict their properties and behaviour and methods of improvements.
- Model and solve static and dynamic problems through isolating bodies and using free body diagrams and kinematics.
- Formulate and present solutions to an engineering problem utilizing knowledge and information from available sources.
- Possess knowledge to understand the energy transfer and losses between different systems and to use them to various utility supplies.
- Understand the basic principles of electrical and electronic engineering.
- Understand and identify different manufacturing processes involving various materials and gain knowledge of techniques used in manufacturing processes.
- Provide details of objects through standard drawing views by way of neat sketches and have hands on experience in using computer and manual drafting tools to produce drawings.
- Write and debug simple computer programs and use general computer software for analyses and presentations.
- Be aware of different fields of engineering and their inter-dependence in real engineering problems.